Saturday, January 22, 2011

Exploring Street Markets and Happy Hours in Hong Kong with Miss Scuba

One of the things that I am most shocked about is the fact that a few blocks apart from one another you can buy the authentic Gucci, Chanel, Tory Burch, Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Coach... pretty much anything you desire and a few blocks away you find the exact copy of these trademarked goodies for the fraction of the price department store labels advertise. Every year the trend is slightly shifted compare to the previous season. This year the biggest sellers are the Tory Burch and Marc Jacobs purses on the "Ladies Market".

Unlike most street markets around the world where I always feel the need of covering my pockets and hiding my valuables, in Hong Kong not once did I see or experienced pick pocketers or any sort of molestation of travelers.

Hong Kong puts out more street markets than any other part of Asia. It offers bird market, flower market, night market, ladies market and a huge electronic market just to name a few.

I found most exhilarating the bargaining. As a general rule, if they offer the good I want for 400, I will say 100. Then the seller will shake her head and I walk away. Than she she say: OK, give you discount, 380.
I say 120, she say 350, I say 150. She say: Can not.
I walk away. She say: OK, 320. Last price. I say 160.
In the end I can probably buy it for 200. So, whatever they ask for, you can pretty much get if for half of that.

We ended up buying four purses "made by" Marc Jacobs and Tory Burch for my girlfriends, some Bruce Lee t-shirts for Hilliar's guy friends, a cute pair of leather shoes for me for less than US$100. I have to say I easily could have spent another $200, but restrained myself knowing that we are still going to Vietnam and Thailand where I most likely will find even better deals.

After bargain hunting we took the metro back to Hong Kong and bar hopped during happy hour (4-8pm). My favorite was a corner bar where everyone was sitting outside on the steps while drinking (in my opinion still pretty pricey) cocktails and beers while people watching. This spot is right where in rush hour well dressed locals and tons of tourist go up and down the escalator/steps. I loved checking out the thousands of  by passer woman walking uphill in well polished  high heal leather shoes and the man all wearing tailored slacks and jackets. Hong Kong reminds me more of London than Asia.

This week the Tandori Chicken Pizza was special of the week, which fast became my new favorite flavor.
Pizza Special: HKG$98 (US$12)
Beer Special HKG$48 (US$7) 

Next on the way to our final destination, getting on a liveaboard  with friends to the Similan Islands in Thailand, camera operator Hilaire Brosio and Miss Scuba will stop in Hanoi, Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment